Pages

Monday, August 3, 2015

Reading Finished in July 2015

I returned to work July 6th after 10 weeks of maternity leave and surprisingly little reading, so I was glad to see that the time had been an anomaly. I finished 6 books during July, though I remain about halfway through two books that I had started early in the month.

I also outlined a novel of my own during July. Hopefully, with only a little more planning, I'll be ready to start a first draft. As a writer friend of mine reminded me when I lamented that my novel will probably be terrible, it isn't anything until it is written, so hopefully next update I'll be able to report progress in that area.

------------------------------------------------------


Top book in July: Brown Girl in the Ring

My favorite part of this book was that the protagonist was a mother with complicated feelings about her baby. I often find that the characters I most identify with are those that have feelings beyond the stereotypical. Ti-Jeanne also has a complex relationship with the baby's father, much like real relationships. Not all non-custodial fathers are deadbeats, not all single-mothers are saints. People fall together and apart for all sorts of reasons, some rational, some not.


Bottom book in July: The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath

I have gone around and around in my head unable to decide if I will read the sequel to this book. There was so much potential that I still desperately want to see fulfilled. I suppose I'll wait for the reviews and hope that someone that disliked this one for the same reasons I did takes a chance on the next.

------------------------------------------------------

Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb
Medium: eBook
Challenges: Read the Sequel

The Singular and Extraordinary Tale of Mirror and Goliath by Ishbelle Bee
Medium: eBook
Challenges: New Books of 2015, Women of Genre Fiction

Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke
Medium: Massmarket paperback and eBook
Challenges: Listomania, The Definitive 1950s SF Reading Challenge

Dust by Elizabeth Bear
Medium: Audiobook
Challenges: The Unloved, Women of Genre Fiction

Brown Girl in the Ring by Nalo Hopkinson
Medium: Audiobook
Challenges: Women of Genre Fiction

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor
Medium: Audiobook
Challenges: New Books of 2014, Women of Genre Fiction

No comments:

Post a Comment