Pages

Tuesday, September 15, 2015

Top 10 Cat Books On My TBR Pile

I am not normally one to participate in anything. But in this case, I'm making an exception, not because I want to be part of anything, but because The Broke and the Bookish has done the work of coming up with topics and I like thinking about books. I love thinking about books. It sets off some happy part of my brain and maybe thinking through what your list would look like will give your brain some happy feelings.

--------------------------------

This list is dedicated to Pookie.

Meeting Pookie was not my first encounter with a cat, but the first time I had a "favorite" cat. Pookie may have also been the start of my contrarianism; no one loved Pookie, so I loved him extra hard. Pooked drooled and did not have a very soft coat. Sweetest cat I've ever met. He inspires my love of cats and if I ever find a story with Pookie in it that might be the end of my quest.

So, for Pookie, here are 10 books that are on deck for the Cat Quest, in no particular order (click on their cover to go to their Goodreads page):

10. The Green Millennium by Fritz Leiber


Fritz Leiber is the author of my unicorn, The Big Time. For a long time, my single bibliophile goal was to collect all of the Hugo Award winners. The Big Time was my last, and I loved it. So, when I discovered the Fritz Leiber wrote a cat book about a man and his green cat named Lucky, I was in.

9. Cat-a-lyst by Alan Dean Foster


The 2nd snowball in an avalanche of cat books. This seems to be an adventure book where the adventurer brought along his cat. I'm waiting for the literary acrobatics around that.

8. Tailchaiser's Song by Tad Williams


This is the book that everyone points me at because Tad Williams is such a well-known fantasy author. I have high expectations.

7. The Amazing Maurice and His Educated Rodents by Terry Pratchett


Sir Terry Pratchett, not one to let something silly go unremarked upon, has written his own contribution to the talking-cat subgenre. I know it's a take on the Pied Piper of Hamlin and am eager to check it out.k

6. The Wild Road by Gabriel King


Another that I'm excited about. Gabriel King is a pseudonym of M John Harrison and Jane Johnson. I can only imagine that this book will be creative and wonderful.

5. Ratha's Creature Clare Bell


Clare Bell's story in Catfantastic II, Bomber and the Bismark, was fantastic, so I was excited to find that she's written a series of cat books. I'm looking forward to this one.

4. The Cat Who Walks Through Walls




3. Tempting the Beast by Lora Leigh


There seems to be quite a bit of paranormal romance that features cat people. I figure I have to at least dip my toe into the pool. I'm a bit awkward at sex scenes, so I'm sure the review of this will be fun.

2. Varjak Paw by SF Said


I definitely picked this one up because of the cover, also, I suspect that the perfect cat book has illustrations.

1. Warriors: Into the Wild by Erin Hunter


This series is so popular that there has to be something to it, right?

Honorable Mention to the Catfantastic series:


Putting all five of these on the list would be cheating. Additionally, it takes me forever to get through short story collections, so these will almost assuredly stay sprinkled throughout the Cat Quest. ...but look at those covers!

5 comments:

  1. I'm more of a dog person.... but I can't read dog books. They tear me up lol. My TTT

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get that. Picking up cat books started out as a bit of a joke. All of these are scifi/fantasy, so hopefully nothing will make me cry. ...or maybe it will make me cry and that will be awesome.

      Delete
  2. This is actually the perfect topic for my best friend/co-blogger. She adores everything cat. I'm personally more of a dog person but I don't read animal books or movies—my heart can't take it.

    My list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realize how much cat scifi/fantasy there was out there until I started researching it. I can't think of a single one with talking dogs, but I bet there's a bunch with dog companions. Maybe I'll have to be the one to write the dog-lovers scifi book. :)

      Delete
  3. I like your TTT theme for this week. Animals are a fun topic!!

    Here's my TTT for the week: http://captivatedreader.blogspot.com/2015/09/top-ten-tuesday-my-list-of-favorite.html

    ReplyDelete