Pages

Friday, March 25, 2016

Reading Update 3/25/16



Currently Reading:

  • Uprooted by Naomi Novak
    ~53% done
    So far I am really impressed with this book. I love the narrator for the audiobook. I'm hoping to finish this early next week.
  • Why I Am Not A Christian by Bertrand Russell
    ~33% done
    While there are times where it is very clear when Bertrand Russell is writing (red scare, WWI, etc), his thoughts transcend those times and are still extremely relevant. Last night I was reading about how individualism, while understandable in the context of early Christianity, is not useful when trying to manage societies and create the most peace for the most people. He easily articulates my feelings on government (that we should be doing things that maximize efficacy within the limits of ethics). If the quality and sentiment remain consistent throughout this collection, I will probably add this to my (currently one book) list of must-read atheism books (along with The Demon Haunted World by Carl Sagan).
  • Ship of Destiny by Robin Hobb
    ~? done - I'm reading a combined edition of this trilogy. I'm 81% done with that.
    I am struggling with this book as I struggled with much of the third book of the Farseer Trilogy. I am ready for her to pull it out and hit me hard in the emotions. Also, there's a little too much dragon-fantasy for my taste. I don't entirely understand the fascination with dragons, though I am interested in dragons as a shared set-piece in a meta sense.
  • Alloy of Law by Brandon Sanderson
    Just started
    It was a good prologue, even if it did have a woman in a refrigerator. This is my husband and my read-out-loud book now that we finally finished with Wetware by Rudy Rucker. I love reading out loud with him. Even though we're not really interacting, it feels like we're really doing something together instead of just existing in the same room.

No comments:

Post a Comment